Friday, March 9, 2012

JCU Professors, I Commend You!

Recently, it has been in the news about how 47 John Carroll professors signed a letter urging Father Niehoff to accept the health care bill and amendments to it which would require insurers (in the case of Catholic employers) to cover the cost of birth control for its female employees.  I was ecstatic when I saw this article and thought way to go JCU, thanks for standing up for what you and I both believe in! I came across this article because of negative backlash in response to the professors moves and I would like to respond to those who oppose this movement.

For those of you who are opposed based on the fact that John Carroll is Catholic, did you ever stop to think that not every single person in its employ is? During my time at JCU I had professors whose religious identifications were not with Christianity. Myself not identifying as Catholic is a prime example that while JCU is a Jesuit University, not all who attend or work there share the same faith.

Secondly, to the JCU Alum in the Plain Dealer who said these professors should be the first to be fired because of their straying from Catholicism, please see point A above.  Also, John Carroll is a Liberal Arts college. During my time at JCU I was taught to continually question my beliefs and the beliefs of those around me. I was also taught on many occasions to stand up for what I believe in, regardless of how many people disagreed with me. These 47 professors stood up for what they believe to be right and true, and instead of condemning them they should be used as a prime example of what JCU stands for: diversity, freedom of opinon, and great strength for one's beliefs. I am a JCU Alum and I stand 100% behind these professors.


Oh, and P.S. for those of you who don't know, birth control is used for an array of medical reasons other than to prevent pregnancy, which would in fact make it a preventative medicine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment