Monday, September 5, 2011

Breaking the Mold, Breaking your future?

It seems like right now we are living in a time where breaking out of the mold leaves you with an insecure future. If you go to college for anything other than a cookie-cutter job than your future success is not guaranteed or even a plausible sight on the horizon. I majored in English because I didn't fit into a mold and I didn't really want to.  But now, almost 4 months after graduation it seems that my only hope at gainful employment is through various positions which I only somewhat qualify for and none of which I really want.

Now I have nothing against cookie-cutter positions or the people that hold them. People in these positions greatly benefit our society by educating people or by succeeding at business which grows our economy, I'm just saying I am not cut out for it, am not cut from the same mold.

It seems that unless you went to college for a specific degree which almost guarantees a job, such as education or accounting, then you end up like me wondering what was really the point of spending 4 years at college? Don't get me wrong, I loved my college experience and would not trade it for anything, but at the same time I feel guilty for wasting time and money with no outcome. I'm sure I will find something but at this point it will be things like babysitting and part time at a bookstore or something along those lines that, while great positions, do not require a college education. Hopefully I didn't break my future, but only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment